The truth About the IUD

My story is a personal one that began back in May of 2005. I had just given birth to my sixth child within the last seven years. Needless to say, my body was in bad need of a rest. My spouce and i had tried other styles of contraception, to no avail. Because of my extreme fertility, we faced either having a permanent paragard iud removal complications procedure done, which we just weren’t quite ready for, or using an Intra Uterine Device, in order to prevent another immediate pregnancy. My doctor highly suggested putting in an IUD, because it was highly effective (99. 9% success rate), and was not permanent. We chose to achieve the IUD inserted into my uterus. Unfortunately, because I was still nursing, the IUD wound up perforating my uterine wall, unbeknownst to me. I had severe pain and hemorrhage, but the doctor laughed and said it was normal, and to call back, as long as it continued past two days. It subsided following a day, so i didn’t remember about it.

I wound up conceiving with my seventh child, completely unaware of the IUD that was still inside my body. The physician assumed that it had dropped out, after an ultrasound came back with undetermined results (meaning they could not see the IUD in my belly or the reproductive system areas. ) He laughed and said that it probably had dislodged itself while I was nursing and come out when i used the restroom. I knew that most child birth occurring as a result of perforation were ultimately automatically aborted, but I had no idea that the IUD was still somewhere in my body. Used to do not worry about losing the baby because I was built to believe that the IUD was in a sewer somewhere.

The pregnancy developed normally until November 23rd, 2005, when i started having cramps and hemorrhage. I immediately called the physician, because I had no history of gestational complications. He laughed and said that it was normal, not to be concerned and to call him back if it didn’t abate next day or so. It did, in fact, stop on Christmas Eve day, so i didn’t need to call him back. Things went relatively smooth after that, until April of 2006. I was experiencing severe painful in my back, and rectal area. I couldn’t sit or stand for for an extended time. I had never felt anything like it in all of my years of previous child birth. My hubby out of town and my daughter, thankfully a responsible girl, helped to take care of the five other kids while I lay on the couch, in agony. I finally called the physician to complain. He made me feel very silly for calling, claiming that it was normal for girls who had had so many child birth to have some discomfort. I was told to take a laxative to help me relieve my severe constipation, and some Extra Strength Tylenol. The laxative did not work, and finally, I could sit and have a bowel movement following a while. The discomfort in my hind end and legs got worse as the pregnancy developed, but the doctor always had the same answer… my numerous child birth were the cause. So i finally stopped whining because I felt so silly.

On the very early morning of Come early july seventh, 2006, my water broke two weeks early. I was not having any contractions, but we went to a healthcare facility anyway. Even at the hospital, my labor would not progress as it usually did. Walking only stopped the contractions. The Pitocin that they administered was not doing much to dilate me or bring about regular contractions. I had a feeling in the compare of my stomach that things just weren’t going well. Then, I felt a huge pop in my uterus, and blood gushed out like a feature. My placenta had sculpted away from my uterus, causing me to bleed out. They tried to help my labor along faster, but the blood loss was causing way too high of a risk for the baby and I. We were raced in to have an emergency C-section.

The baby came to be, healthy and fine, my seventh child, born on 07/07/06. The delivering doctor was also the seventh of seven children. It is quite evident that God had His return the whole lot, despite my suffering. I was allowed to deliver an income child and survive a very difficult pregnancy. My recovery was a long and rough one due to the a large amount of blood loss during labor and delivery. But I eventually felt good again. Months later, in Economy is shown of 2007, I begun to get very ill. I was nauseated all day long. I couldn’t hold any food down. I was losing a lot of weight and looking pale. I was always dizzy and almost unable to work as a mother to my children. The primary care physician laughed and said that it was a virus and that it would go away. Blood tests came back normal. I would must hope that it would go away alone. A month later, I was even worse. I had taken several pregnancy tests, and might not figure out what was going on with me. Life had be a nightmare suffering from constant nausea and dizziness.

One morning, as i was taking a shower, I felt something very odd. Two plastic strings were poking out of my rectum. I knew instantly what it was, having seen the IUD at the OB’s office. I completely freaked out. I went immediately to my OB’s office to show them. These were obviously nervous about the whole ordeal, but assured me that it was normal for this type of thing to occur. Ironically that is the very opposite of what they had laughed and said before the attachment. I was told that it was very rare for any problems to occur, even with breastfeeding. Even the manufacturer’s insert did not say anything about an increase of problems due to lactation or nursing, not until they caught wind of my story. The nurse wanted to eliminate the IUD in front of them, but I was afraid of computer being attached to something in my body, being that it absolutely was in my rectal hole for approximately a year.

My freshly discovered knowledge that the IUD had been inside my body since May of 2005, helped to go into detail lots of things that had occurred during the past 18 months. But the doctors would certainly not admit that it was the cause of any of my suffering or labor/ delivery complications. I know that they knew that they had screwed up. These were folding over in the opposite direction to appease me in any way that they could. I am not a individual who believes in getting rich off from legal cases, and destroying people’s careers, so that was not my goal anyway. But I felt like they had downplayed my concerns during pregnancy, and were now trying to avoid being in trouble. They never said to any carelessness on their part, and I realize why. They scheduled an immediate procedure in the hospital, with an attending surgeon, to remove the IUD. It was successfully removed with no complications. The whole lot was over as quick as that. But the fear that my horrible experience could easily happen to other women, has haunted me ever since. I desired the world to know that it IUD’s are far more dangerous than they lead us to think. I desired the physician to admit that she neglected to do a better job of trying to find the IUD, and taking my complaints seriously. I was yet another uterus to them, despite being a loyal patient of eight years. I felt like they had betrayed me, when they got scared of being sued. They did not represent my best interest, as their patient, violating their Hippocratic Pledge. They did what served them best, so that from looking bad. I truly loved the doctors and nurse inside my OB/GYN office. They had always treated me with respect. But my last two years as their patient, proved to me that we am no more than a small fraction of their paycheck.